Interested in getting involved? Current volunteer needs include:
Las Posadas: El Centro de la Raza is about to celebrate Las Posadas and Virgen de Guadalupe Day next Monday, December 12th, in its new Centilia Cultural Center! We still need volunteers to make this event a success. We will have an orientation at 4:30 and a pozole dinner for volunteers at 5pm. Please consider volunteering one of the roles listed below:
- Greeters (4:30-7:30pm | 5 people): Welcome guests to the event and help direct them to the dining room, Santa scene, and more.
- Food Service (4:30-8:30pm | 6 people): Help serve a delicious dinner to the community. Volunteers will help serve a pozole dinner, drinks, chocolate, and pan dulce, as well as keep the kitchen and dining area clean.
- Santa Scene Assistant (4:30-8:00pm | 1 person): Help families get ready for their turn with Santa, and keep the line moving smoothly.
- Donations (4:30-8pm | 6 people): Help collect donations and facilitate raffles & t-shirt sales to support the event.
- Parking Lot Assistance (4:30-7:00pm | 6 people): Help direct guests to available parking and keep traffic in the parking lots flowing smoothly.
- Clean-up (7:30-8:30pm | 4 people): Help clean up El Centro de la Raza after the event.
Post Construction Clean Up: An El Centro owned low income housing apartment building was recently renovated and now needs to be cleaned out so tenants can move in. Flexible within the week of 12/2/16 ~ 12/9/16.
Plaza Roberto Maestas After School Program Enrollment/Orientation: 2-4 volunteers are need to setup and support this enrollment orientation/dinner for program participants. Thursday, December 8th, 2016 6-7:30pm in the Centilia Cultural Center.
Seattle Youth Violence Prevention Program Assistant: The Seattle Youth Violence Program is in need of a dedicated volunteer to help with clerical work including but not limited to filing, putting files together, data entry, and helping with the preparation of materials to be used by staff
Skills: Proficient with computers and Microsoft programs. Flexible within business hours. To be coordinated with staff.
Know Your Rights Workshop: Tuesday, January 10th El Centro de la Raza will be hosting a Know Your Rights workshop. We will need help with setup, support the event and help clean up at the end. Tuesday 1/10/17 4:30-9:30pm.
Job Readiness Program Assistant: To assist in two youth related Job Readiness Programs. The volunteer will help with general office duties, workshop presentations, intake, document file management. They will engage with participants, staff and others involved, to support youth job readiness. Mon-Thur 3-6pm & Fri 3-5pm.
Kitchen Assistant: La Cocina needs a volunteer cook assistant who would be helping with a wide range of tasks, including basic prep support for meal, dish washing, kitchen cleaning and assisting with weekly food inventory of both food donations and scheduled deliveries. Requirements: Be able to lift 30-40 lbs. Have a current/ up to date Food Handlers Permit (we can reimburse you for this food handler’s permit). Shifts: Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays 7:00am – 2:00pm (One shift a week is great, more is welcome).
Food Bank Assistance: Tuesday and Wednesday morning shift volunteers move food from the truck to the food bank; all other shifts primarily help distribute food to participants as they come into the food bank, and occasionally assist with portioning out produce and canned items. Shifts—Tue: 7:30am-9:30am Wed: 9am – 12pm & 2pm – 6pm Thu: 9am – 12pm & 1:30pm-4:30pm Fri: 10am – 12pm and 1:30pm – 4:30pm (Can be combined with Latino Hot Meal volunteerism)
If you’re interested in helping with one of these positions, or for more information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (206) 957-4602 or email@example.com. ¡Gracias!