On November 14, the administration published a proposed new fee schedule that would increase fees for some of the most commonly used immigration applications by our community, putting them out of reach for many low-income immigrants. We are encouraging our supporters to comment in opposition to the proposed rule. Comments must be submitted by December 16.*
· Increasing the cost of citizenship application fees by 83%.
· Requiring asylum-seekers to pay a $50 application fee and $490 for a work permit.
· Increasing the cost of DACA renewals from $495 to $765.
· Eliminating fee waivers for citizenship, lawful permanent residency, and others.
· Transferring $207.6 million in application fees from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to ICE for enforcement purposes, including denaturalization.
We will not tolerate this hatred and are taking action because everyone is welcome in our country. Stand with us in fighting back to protect and defend our communities by submitting a public comment to oppose this proposed regulation.
Instructions for submitting a public comment by December 16 at 11:59 PM (EST):
- Navigate to the proposed regulation by clicking here: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=USCIS-2019-0010-0001.
- In the top right corner of the webpage, you should see a blue button named “Comment now!” Click on that button and you will be directed to another page where you can either type in or paste your comment into the textbox. The website also mandates that you upload your comment as a file.
- After you finish writing your comment, be sure to verify that you completed all the required fields.
- On the next page, you will review your comment before submitting it.
If you would like additional guidance for submitting a public comment, please click here to view Clinic Legal’s step-by-step instructions.