We’re calling on you to defend immigrants and their families!
A Call to Action to Defend Our Families! A bipartisan group of senators is negotiating a deal to pass funding for Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan in exchange for extreme, permanent changes to U.S. immigration and asylum law. Now, the White House has signaled support for trading away refugee protections. This tradeoff would destroy lifesaving protections for people seeking safety and increase chaos at the U.S.-Mexico border, as well as expand fast-track deportations of immigrants in the U.S
These are unprecedented threats to refugees and our loved ones and communities.
Time is of the essence: the President hopes Congress will act on a deal before the holidays.
Call Washington State Senators: Patty Murray (202) 224-2621 and Maria Cantwell (202) 224 3441
What to say when you call: “I strongly oppose any spending deal that:
- Trades foreign aid to Ukraine for harmful immigration policies that hurt asylum seekers, children, mixed-status families, and the long-term undocumented.
- Goes against our values and international obligations by closing our doors to refugees.
- Results in mandatory detention or sends refugees back to danger and death in their home countries.
- Creates a nationwide dragnet that deports the undocumented with deep social and economic roots in the U.S. and tears families apart.”
For more information, see links below!
- Congressional Republicans are demanding harsh immigration policies.
- Recent reports (see here and here) suggest President Biden may agree to a draconian deal with lawmakers.